Saturday, January 4, 2014

Pretty Plates--This house is for the bids!"


Start with a plate, I picked up these at a local Thrift Store.  Make sure clean, can also wipe with alcohol to make sure no oily spots.  Need template (Michaels), Paint ( used enamel), stencil brush, spray adhesive and tape.   Love my disposable paint container!!!! (yogurt container ran thru dishwasher--easiest clean up ever-- straight to the trash can. (Don't know why the photo is sideways - it was correct until uploaded here, but you get the idea.)

Follow directions on spray adhesive-- spray, allow to dry several moments, the place on plate.   It did OK, but on some plates I had to use some tape around the edges to hold on place.  Stencil with paint.It takes just a little, maybe 5cc's.  I used FolkArt Enamel acrylic paint by Plaid in Cobalt.   I just love the deep dark blue shade.  The most important point to remember is that after you load your brush to dab it on paper towels so the brush is not too heavy with paint. 
Once done, carefully remove the template and set aside. I used dish detergent to wash off the paint in between plates and dried it very well. 
Next plate!! Repeat
With sharpies, personalize.   I thought about letter templates, but too much to do all that..   If you make a mistake, you can wipe it off and start again. 
Here's all the plates I did this day after adding the words.   Had a hard time deciding if I liked the words closer to the bird or closer to the edge. 
Another view
Follow directions on paint.   Place in COLD oven, turn to 350 for 30 minutes and let cool in the oven.  Could do last thing at night and just leave in over overnight. Remember no direct contact with food, use a doily, cupcake wrappers, etc.  Hand wash or top dishwasher rack.
 
The final project!! One for my Mom, Mother in law and myself.   My mother is a HUGH bird watcher and her house is full of bird décor.   This is the first time I tried this and I think it turned out great. If to again, will get brown and green to make the branch and leaves the correct color.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tulip Wreath

 I made a tulip wreath.  Metal wreath- Dollar Tree, Ribbon- (needed 2) -Walmart Tulips - Hobby Lobby Green mesh(already had at home in craft...